Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hello, Nurse!



Hello, Nurse!
Describing someone is a difficult venture to undertake. Too simple – George Harrison played the guitar – and you condense the ocean of someone's life into a drop of water on the counter. Too complex – there was a man who was an ambulance driver in Italy and wrote standing up and his favorite cocktail was a Mojito – and you can't see Hemingway for the trees. The goal is to strike a balance, to show where a person has been, where they are, where they hope to be, and to leave the reader with the feeling that they could get on quite well with the person you've described.
First Lieutenant Maria-Cristina Puswald is a registered nurse in the Army. Why? In her own words,

“I honestly didn't have any other reason to study nursing other than because I would always have a good chance to find a job regardless of what occurs in the economy. I had originally wanted to study music education, but there aren't many available jobs in that career field, and I can always give piano lessons on the side if I want.” Puswald had started thinking about the military at a career fair during sophomore year. Free health care, unlimited sick days, and 30 days paid vacation sounded good to her. Although she did look into the Air Force, it was the size of the Army and the number of hospitals under their care that swayed her decision.
What kind of person is 1st Lt. Puswald? For Alexandra Loginov, a friend since childhood, a birthday describes her best.

“I remember that a couple years ago Cristina planned a surprise birthday party for her mom from Texas, and then flew in to New York for a few days to be there. This is very typical of Cristina, as she's very family-oriented and always thinking of others.” Puswald's dedication to her family is long-lived and obvious to those lucky enough to know her. A family friend, Elizabeth Toher, recollects Puswald's familial devotion.

“As a young girl Cristina's enthusiasm and giggly demeanor was very engaging. You couldn't help but to be delighted in her company. When her younger brother William was born she easily stepped into the role of a little mama. As she became older the love that she had for her siblings animated her actions towards them. She really was a big sister in every sense of the word, always looking out for them, always treating them to little surprises, always encouraging them”

Puswald is a woman of many interests. Her father is a motorcyclist, and Cristina started riding on his bike when she was very little. Said Toher,

“It was unusual to see such a tiny girl riding on a motorcycle without fear and with obvious enjoyment and enthusiasm. You don't normally think about girls on motorcycles but that's a good example of the marriage of both her tough side and what would surprise you about her. She's willing to try something new.”

She has owned a number of motorcycles and enjoys going for a ride to relax. Puswald is also musically inclined, and the piano is an important element in her continued friendship with Loginov.

“I met Cristina when we were two years old and on walks in strollers with our moms. This must have been around 1988. I believe I pointed to Cristina's stroller and said baby, but maybe she was the one who did that. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details! I think we've stayed friends all this time because we made an effort to do so, and because we spent so much time together in our childhood. We shared many experiences, including homeschooling, playing the piano which included taking lessons from the same teacher and playing duets together, playing softball, and reading.”

So what is 1st. Lt. Puswald doing now? She's currently involved in medical-surgical nursing, which is a catch-all for inpatient care of post-operative patients and medical, non-surgical, patients.

“Basically, we get a little bit of everything, from flu or pneumonia patients to knee or shoulder arthroscopies to emergent appendectomies. I absolutely love it because it's so random! I prefer it to ICU nursing or ER nursing or OR nursing because of the patient interaction I get. It keeps me on my toes, figuratively and literally.”

As an officer Puswald has a number of responsibilities. For her, leadership is enjoyable because she can take care of her soldiers, stand up for them, support them, and be there for them when they need her.

“It fills me with a sense of accomplishment and really boosts my ego when I feel I've been a positive role model or mentor for them. I guess I'm handling my responsibilities well, because I get great Officer Evaluation Reports.”
1st. Lt. Puswald is being deployed soon. For her friends and family this is cause for concern, and for reflection.

“I was surprised when I heard that Cristina was going into the army, as I didn't even know that she was considering it previously. I feel much better about her being any army nurse than a combat soldier, though, I must say. At the same time, I do still do worry about her.” For Toher, the sentiment is similar.

“Although it is scary knowing that she's being deployed to Afghanistan I wasn't surprised when I heard that because Cristina's nature is one of nurture, compassion, and empathy. I think that her faith which is strong and active in her life as well as her love and respect for family relationships and friendships, will help her to both represent the United States in a positive and inspirational way as well as the people that will come under her care will know what it's like to be taken care of by someone who truly will give everything she has to make sure that they're taken care of to the best of her ability and the ability of the people she works with.”

And what does Cristina have to say about it?

“I am both anxious and excited! I want to have this experience, even though I don't really know what to expect. I am eager to find out!”

No comments:

Post a Comment